About this blog...

***** THIS BLOG HAS BEEN REPLACED IN 2012 ***** If you've come aross this blog site by accident, pop over to www.krystaguille.com for my current one *****

One lazy day in 2009, I decided to embark on a photo-a-day-for-a-year challenge. I set myself a goal to upload a different photo every day - some are of my gorgeous clients, some are of my ever obliging family and friends.

Well, I reached the end of the challenge year, and while I didn't quite succeed at a photo-a-day, this blog became part of my weekly routine.

And so I continue...at a new location.

www.krystaguille.com/blog




Oct 22, 2010

Creative People.... Meet Raphael

And now for something completely different. Meet Raphael van der Waag.

I had such fun taking this photo - I felt like I was on the set of "Myth Busters" trying to make the most sparks fly for the camera! If you're not familiar with Raph's name, you'll definitly know some of his works of art. In particular, it is Raph's handy-work (with addition of Mark Hewson's glass - see Thursday's post) on display in the foyer at the Albany Leisure and Aquatic Centre.  Raph took off his welding helmet to answer some questions for me.


What materials do you work with?
Predominantly metals

What's the first artwork you can remember making?
It was in high school and was titled "Wind in the Reeds".  It had slender metal reed then half way up there was limestone carved to give the effect of the wind. I sold it to a local lady.

What inspires you?
Mainly the natural elements of the landscape, with the public artworks, architecture is also important – I try to make the artwork integrate with the environment.

What has been your proudest artistic achievement so far?
Probably actually being able to make a living from my art.

How would you describe your creative philosophy?
I try and pare things back to the absolute minimum – try to say all the important things without embellishments.

Where can we see more of your work?
The Albany Leisure Centre, the Deptartment of Main Roads' new building on Chester Pass Road, plus public art at Mt Barker and Borden. And very shortly, a new scupture along the Indian Ocean Drive. Then later in the year, more pieces at Perth College and the new Path West lab in the QE2 Medical Complex.

No comments: